Extra Light and Fluffy Keto Meringue Frosting is sure to become your Favorite with only 2 Ingredients and No Carbs. This Delicious Sugar Free Swiss Meringue Frosting is Extra Easy to Make and is the Only Frosting needed for all of your Keto Deserts and Cupcakes.
Top up your cupcakes with it, spread it onto a coffee cake, pound cake, Swiss roll cake or marble bundtcake. Use it as a layer in our chocolate chaffle cake or add a layer onto one of the chia puddings. It is also great for decorating gingerbread village.
This recipe without cream of tartar is also great for lemon meringue pies.
Learn how to make the best keto-friendly frosting that is silky and light, fluffy but still stiff and perfectly pipe-able for whatever dessert you wish to use it. This fully low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free icing is done in just a few minutes with 2 ingredients only and is the best keto frosting one can have.
Keto meringue recipes
Making our sugar-free frosting gives you so many uses.
I have already made lemon cheesecake in an instant pot, and baked meringue cookies and Pavlova cake which took me 4 years to bring to a complete perfection. I am also preparing for you strawberry sugar free cake, almond flour cupcakes with meringue icing, and lemon meringue cupcakes.
Check how many meringue recipes I have already made.
Sugar free frosting for keto baking cupcakes
There are so many keto frostings out on the internet. But once you try this recipe, I promise, you will not look for anything else.
Before my invention, I have made cream cheese frostings with some colors to make Christmas tree cupcakes and Santa hats cupcakes. Additionally, a super delicious Nutella frosting for our chocolate cupcakes.
That was it. After I made this frosting, I was done with ideas. I might still make some kind of buttercream frosting with this recipe.
This recipe is the one and only one I use all the time. Flavor it the way you like, and you can whip it up in just a few minutes.
Before we went low carb, a favorite recipe from my mum was a plain sheet sponge cake with a huge layer of frosting on top. Every time she would make a cake, I could eat the whole pan. Seriously.
Then low carb came, and I had to forget all of it.
After all of my trials for meringue cookies, I have realized the taste reminded me so much of my mum’s frosting before those cookies went into the oven.
There was nothing else I needed. I was so excited, like a little child in a candy shop.
The best sugar-free frosting you can use all the time has been born.
How funny that the best recipes come out of coincidence.
I just love those days and surprises.
What is meringue?
Meringue is a dessert made using sugar and eggs whipped into stiff peak consistency and used in various ways.
The three most popular types are French, Italian, and Swiss, each using a different method.
Type of meringue
We all know there are various types using different methods.
- Italian meringue, where egg whites are whisked until stiff peaks and boiling sugar syrup is added slowly.
- French meringue, where egg whites are thoroughly whipped with powdered sugar.
- Swiss meringue is made by gently heating egg whites. Whipped together with powdered sugar over the double boiler where you cook the egg whites gently in the process.
- Lowcarb-Nocarb meringue is a mixture of all the above types, where only one egg white is warmed up and whisked together with sugar-free syrup over the double boiler and then whisked until stiff peaks in the kitchen machine.
Till now, I could not decide into which category my recipe falls to, so I have decided to make an additional type, Zuzana type or lowcarb-nocarb meringue type. The best sugar-free meringue you can have.
To make the frosting, it is best to use thick liquid sweetener using Allulose, which taste like sugar, or mixture with Monk fruit. Make sure you always use powdered versions. I would not suggest powdered Erythritol as this sweetener does not dissolves fully.
Homemade simple syrup
I made my own sugar-free liquid simple syrup I now use in all of my meringue recipes.
And I can promise you this will never be discontinued in the entire time of this universe. Never Ever. In a million years, never.
Store bought liquid sweeteners.
In case you do not want to go into making your homemade liquid sweetener, you can try using store-bought such as:
- Wholesome Yum Simple Syrup
- Wholesome Yum Keto Honey
- Sukrin Maple Syrup
- Sukrin syrup gold
- Sukrin Caramel Syrup
- ChocZero Vanilla Syrup
- or any other thick sugar-free liquid syrup
I have never tried Swerve brand as the ones I have at home are base on Erythritol.
Keto version frosting variations
Apart from different types of meringue-based frosting, icing, or glaze, you can also experiment with various flavors.
Some of the examples are:
- Buttercream frosting – add the butter in for meringue buttercream recipe
- Lemon frosting – pour squeezed lemon juice
- Peppermint – add peppermint aroma
- Cream cheese frosting – mix in cream cheese
- Sugar-free vanilla frosting – add the vanilla and salt until combined
- Strawberry frosting – sprinkle with strawberry powder
- Chocolate frosting – add cocoa powder
- Coffee frosting – a few drops of strong coffee
Even if you will use one of those addition and make simple syrup from scratch, there is no way you will exceed more than 5 ingredients.
Our paleo or keto meringue frosting is sure to become a perfect frosting recipe for all your frosting needs.
Kitchen gadgets needed:
- Double boiler
- Stand mixer
- Hand mixer
- Sugar-Free Simple Syrup
- Egg White
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
And as our loyal readers, Wholesome Yum Foods has been so kind to offer to all of our subscribers 10% of ALL of their PRODUCTS using our Coupon Code:
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING SUGAR-FREE FROSTING
First step: Prepare ingredients
Prepare both ingredients and set up your double boiler. If you do not have one, you can use a pot with simmering water onto which you add a bowl of a stand mixer as I have made it.
You only need one egg white, which is best at room temperature. Egg yolk can be stored or discharged.
With regards to simple syrup, use the thickest you can get. The thicker the syrup is, the denser and stiffer your frosting will be.
If you are using our recipe for sugar-free simple syrup, let it cook a bit longer for most of the water to evaporate to get a thick consistency.
Second step: Whip up simple syrup
Pour your simple syrup onto the bowl on top of simmering water. Using a hand mixer, start whisking the syrup.
Third step: Whip the egg whites
Once you see bubbles forming, add the egg white and beat on medium speed. Be careful not to burn the mixture.
Fourth step: Froth
Keep mixing until you get frothy consistency and see that the texture is not changing anymore and frosting is smooth and is fully incorporated.
Fifth step: Whisk in the stand mixer
Clean up the bottom of the bowl with a kitchen towel and place it immediately onto the kitchen machine.
Turn the mixer on high and whisk until full stiff peak forms and your frosting become glossy.
Tips and tricks:
- Frosting – following our recipe to the end, whipping all until stiff peak forms.
- Icing – Whipping your mixture only halfway until you get soft peaks, which gently flow down when lifted.
- Glaze – mixing only till a silky smooth white consistency appears.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Substitute for sugar-free simple syrup.
Homemade sugar-free simple syrup can be substituted with store-bought sugar-free syrup that is thick in consistency.
Using our basic recipe lets you prepare typical American buttercream frostings as well. Follow all of the steps until your transfer your bowl onto the kitchen machine.
There while gently mixing the batter, start adding room temperature cubes of butter. Make sure the bowl is not warm anymore to prevent butter to curdle.
Let it come to room temperature. It is really simple and that is how buttercream is made using our recipe.
Is this a 7 minute frosting?
I am not too familiar with 7 minute frosting and have never actually timed the mixing process. The minute mark for blending really varies. It depends on the type of liquid sweetener used, weather, amount and much more.
How do you store keto frosting?
Our sugar-free frosting is excellent to store in a mason jar in your refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
Can you freeze meringue frosting?
You can undoubtedly freeze it, but I do not recommend it. Meringue frosting is one of the frostings which does not hold well together after defrosting.
Keto-friendly recipes using meringue frosting
You can use our frosting on any of your desserts or you can make a delicious:
- Lemon cheesecake
- Meringue cookies
- Sheet pan strawberry meringue cake
- Almond flour cupcakes with meringue icing
- Lemon meringue cupcakes
Pin for later
Need Support or have Questions? Join our Free Facebook Group.
For weekly New Recipes and a FREE E-Book get into our NEWSLETTER.
Full recipe with print Out Option
Thank you for giving us 5 stars.
- 262 grams (3/4 Cup) Simple Syrup Clear
- 1 Egg white
- Prepare both ingredients and set up your double boiler. ch you add a bowl of a stand mixer as I have made it. You only need one egg white, which is best at room temperature.
- Pour your simple syrup onto the bowl on top of simmering water. Using a hand mixer, start whisking the syrup.
- Once you see bubbles forming, add the egg white and beat on medium speed. Be careful not to burn the mixture.
- Keep mixing until you get frothy consistency and see that the texture is not changing anymore and frosting is smooth and is fully incorporated.
- Clean up the bottom of the bowl with a kitchen towel and place it immediately onto the kitchen machine. Turn the mixer on high and whisk until full stiff peak forms and your frosting become glossy.
- Frosting - following our recipe to the end, whipping all until stiff peak forms.
- Icing - Whipping your mixture only halfway until you get soft peaks, which gently flow down when lifted.
- Glaze - mixing only till a silky smooth white consistency appears.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size2 Tablespoons
Amount Per Serving Calories 5Total Fat 0gCarbohydrates 0gFiber 2gProtein 0g
If you are still looking for some Low Carb products, visit our recommended site on Amazon, which we participate in as affiliates. Just click on the image below and all will be revealed.
Living a Keto Lifestyle but still, have a sweet tooth?
Explore 31 Days with Top Keto & Low Carb Dessert Recipes.
All new recipes never featured anywhere else.