Build 3-Dimensional, Easy Keto Gingerbread Village using our Sugar-Free Gingerbread Cookies Recipe for the most beautiful Centrepiece on your Holiday Table. Add Keto Gingerbread House and decorate with Royal Icing for the Edible DIY Christmas Project with your Family.
The best snow effect can be achieved using our meringue frosting with sprinkled coconut shreds on top.
Keto Christmas time
Celebrating Christmas is one holiday everyone looks forward to.
My first year was a struggle. I had no idea what to cook or bake. Everything we used seemed filled with carbs.
But then came a few trials and, of course, some errors. And we are here, and I have everything you need for you. Fully keto, low carb, sugar-free, gluten-free, and perfect fit for people with diabetes.
For additional table decoration, I have pine cone cheese ball and a Christmas tree cheese ball.
Next comes a basket of keto cookies with vanilla crescents, a gingerbread recipe, and meringue cookies. Finish it with a glass of eggnog as an aperitif and mulled wine throughout the evening. The party can start.
Can you have gingerbread on keto?
Blending it with a few more ingredients and all gingerbread spices results in a gingerbread dough everyone will love. It is tasty and sweet, smells like a pure Christmas, and, once baked, is perfect for decorating.
How many carbs are in gingerbread pieces?
Taking a 3D cookie kit, where each piece is assembled from 2 parts of cookies, gives you 2 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fiber per statue.
Taking net carbs into the calculation, you will end up with 0 net carbs per piece.
Two components need to be included.
A gingerbread house made next to the whole village and icing. I have not made any icing since there was nothing to connect, and using a powdered sweetener on top of the entire village was beautiful and super easy.
With regards to the house, when I first saw the 3D gingerbread village cookie cutter set, I fell in love with it instantly and ordered it. I have not even researched further and had no idea there are sets together with a gingerbread house.
Well, that was my big mistake. But whether you have a house next to it does not mater.
I love my village, and the table centerpiece looks beautiful anyway.
As I have yet to make my icing for the house to hold, I can give you some suggestions.
Our meringue frosting recipe is delicious and fantastic. This frosting I used in so many recipes. But it might not hold the gingerbread pieces.
Buttercream frosting is also used as it is easy to work with.
Keto royal icing
Royal icing can be a second option for attaching your house together. I do not have a royal icing recipe on my site but simply whisk together two egg whites with 3 cups of powdered sweetener until thoroughly combined.
Depending on the thickness, you can add drops of lemon juice or a few drops of water at a time to thin it a bit.
If too thin, add one to two teaspoons of cream of tartar and egg white powder, which helps the icing hold.
Royal icing should also harden after a while.
This is especially great if you are trying to decorate your house. Using royal icing, your house will stand without problems and have roof pieces on top.
What sweetener works best in this recipe
In the recipe, I use two types of sweeteners. Powdered version and liquid.
The powdered sweetener can be allulose, monk fruit, or any mixture base. It is best to use powdered and not crystallized. If you only have a crystalized version, grinding it in a magic bullet or a coffee grinder will get you a perfect powder.
Yacon syrup was the honey replacement I used at the beginning of our low-carb journey when I had no idea anything else existed.
Gingerbread village kit
As you see in the video, I have used a gingerbread village kit I purchased on amazon. The one I bought was without a house cookie cutter, but you can go and add that in as well. I so love this kit because it will easily allow me to build a perfect edible three-dimensional village, which also looks outstanding as a decoration.
Gingerbread village ideas
As my recipe is pretty simple, but on the other site, quick and easy to make, you can go even further and use some of the suggestions:
- Meringue frosting – great for the base as snow as well as decoration on top of the trees.
- Homemade curd cheese – great for building tiny mountains or snowballs. It can also add more structure to the snow.
- Shredded coconut – sprinkled on icing or frosting, it gives an illusion of snowflakes as they look like snow.
- Whipped cream – great to mix with curd cheese for a snow effect.
- Christmas tree cupcakes – placed around the village for Christmas trees.
- Sprinkles – pick your favorite colors and decorate whatever you wish in the village.
- Dark chocolate chips – as a decoration for the house or trees.
- White chocolate chips – more tree and house decoration.
- Strawberry powder – great as a shiny tinsel garland.
- Meringue cookies – can be used as tiny snow rocks.
- Gummy bears candy – spread around the village for little people effect.
- Sugar free candies – if you have some at home, those could be great for decoration as well.
Also, if you have some leftovers from the dough, you can use various cookie cutters like animals or mini gingerbread people. To make them stand, pipe a line of our meringue frosting or royal icing on the base.
How to make a gingerbread house
If you have purchased the cookie gingerbread house kit, it is easy to build your house.
Again use royal icing as a glue and decorate with the ideas I have mentioned above.
Best gingerbread village recipe
Let us start baking and decorating the best-ever edible keto gingerbread village.
Kitchen gadgets needed:
- Glass mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- Rolling pin
- Xmas village cookie cutters
- Silicone rolling sheet
- Egg Brush
- Baking tray
Gingerbread village ingredients:
- Almond Flour
- Liquid sweetener
- Vanilla Protein
- Baking powder
- Sugar substitute
- Gingerbread spices
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
And as our loyal readers, Wholesome Yum Foods has been so kind to offer to all of our subscribers 10% of ALL of their PRODUCTS using our Coupon Code:
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR A LOW CARB GINGERBREAD HOUSE OR VILLAGE
First step: Prepare ingredients
Prepare all of the ingredients together to make the gingerbread dough. If you swap vanilla protein with natural, add more sugar replacement.
For spices, mix nutmeg, coriander, fennel, anis, cardamom, ginger, and cinnamon, and use three teaspoons for the mixture.
Second step: Mix the dough
In a big mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and mix until all combined.
Place into the fridge for at least an hour. The same dough is used for making our gingerbread cookies.
Third step: Roll the dough
Take out the dough and roll approximately ¼ inch thick sheet. You can use protein powder or almond flour to prevent the dough from sticking together. You can also use a sheet of parchment paper to cover the dough before rolling.
Fourth step: Cut out the shapes
Using your cookie cutters, cut all the desired shapes and place them one by one on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Fifth step: Egg wash and bake
Whisk together one egg yolk until smooth. You can add a few drops of almond milk. Using a brush, spread the egg wash onto each piece of cuttings.
Place into the oven and bake at 170 Celsius or 325 Fahrenheit for approximately 9 minutes.
Sixth step: Assemble and decorate
Once everything is baked, let the pieces thoroughly cool down and start assembling.
Cookies from the 3D set do not need any icing to hold as they are shaped to stand on their own. If you have made other shapes like gingerbread men or animals, you can stick those on a board using icing or frosting as glue.
Enjoy and decorate.
Tips and tricks for making keto gingerbread house recipe
- Gingerbread spices – a simple mixture of nutmeg, coriander, fennel, anis, cardamom, ginger, and cinnamon in equal amounts gives you the best seasoning mix.
- Xanthan gum – some recipes contain a bit of xanthan gum to help in rolling, but I have not used it and feel there is no need in our recipe.
- Icing – it is best to place all of the royal icing to a piping bag and pipe the icing as glue for attaching your decorations.
- Toothpick – is excellent to use for a mini amount of icing, for example, eyes or little dots on the tree.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
What keto decoration can you use?
There are many ideas and simple recipes you can use as decoration. I have already explained all of the ideas in the article above.
Still, to give you brief tips, you can use meringue frosting, homemade curd cheese, shredded coconut, whipped cream, sprinkles, dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, strawberry powder, meringue cookies or gummy bears.
Substitute for honey
As original gingerbread contains honey, which gives them that beautiful flavor, we try to replace it with different sugar substitutes in our lifestyle.
If you do have sugar-free honey at home, you can use that. But if not, there are now so many brands selling one already.
Can you build keto gingerbread chaffle waffle house?
Using our chaffle – waffle recipe or ice cream cones recipe, you can also build the house. All you need is to cut the pieces to square waffles, a bit of icing to hold it all together, some decoration and your project can start. They are great to put together to form walls and roof.
How do you store low-carb gingerbread house and village?
Once assembled, depending on the decoration used, your whole village should be perfect for placing on your table as a decoration.
It does not have to be refrigerated or covered and will stay for 2 to 3 weeks.
Again you have to take into consideration the additional decorations used. For example, a fresh whipped cream would only last a day or two if placed outside.
I doubt it would be easy to freeze the whole gingerbread house or a village once assembled. I would not suggest this.
But what you can do, is bake all of the pieces of gingerbread cookies and freeze those. Once ready to decorate, take it out the night before and let all the details thaw naturally.
More keto Christmas recipes
Pin for later
Full recipe with printout option
Than you for giving us 5 stars
- 1 Egg white
- 150 grams (1,5 Cups) Almond Flour
- 50 grams (1/4 Cups) Butter
- 30 grams (1/4 Cups) Liquid Honey substitute
- 25 grams (1/4 Cup) Vanilla Protein
- 3 grams (1 teaspoon ) Baking powder
- 2 grams (2Tablespoon) Sugar substitute
- 3 teaspoons Gingerbread spices - an equal amount of Nutmeg, Coriander, Fennel, Anis, Cardamon, Ginger, Cinnamon
- 1 Egg yolk + 3 teaspoons almond milk for top of cookies
- Prepare all of the ingredients together to make the gingerbread dough. If you swap vanilla protein with natural, add more sugar replacement. For spices, mix nutmeg, coriander, fennel, anis, cardamom, ginger, and cinnamon, and use three teaspoons for the mixture.
- In a big mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and mix until all combined. Place into the fridge for at least an hour.
- Take out the dough and roll approximately ¼ inch thick sheet. You can use protein powder or almond flour to prevent the dough from sticking together.
- Using your cookie cutters, cut all the desired shapes and place them one by one on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Whisk together one egg yolk until smooth. You can add a few drops of almond milk. Using a brush, spread the egg wash onto each piece of cuttings.Place into the oven and bake at 170 Celsius or 325 Fahrenheit for approximately 9 minutes.
- Once everything is baked, let the pieces thoroughly cool down and start assembling.
- Gingerbread spices - a simple mixture of nutmeg, coriander, fennel, anis, cardamom, ginger, and cinnamon in equal amounts gives you the best seasoning mix.
- Xanthan gum - some recipes contain a bit of xanthan gum to help in rolling, but I have not used it and feel there is no need in our recipe.
- Icing - it is best to place all of the royal icing to a piping bag and pipe the icing as glue for attaching your decorations.
- Toothpick - is excellent to use for a mini amount of icing, for example, eyes or little dots on the tree.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
18 PCS 3D Christmas House Cookie Cutter Set
120 x Parchment Paper Sheets
Superior Glass Mixing Bowls with Lids
Jay Robb Whey Vanilla Isolate Protein Powder
Kirkland Saigon Cinnamon 10.7 Oz Bottles
davis Double Acting Baking Powder 8.1 Oz
Besti Allulose Sweetener - Powdered
Besti Monk Fruit Sweetener With Allulose - Powdered
Wholesome Yum Super Fine Blanched Almond Flour
Serving Size1 statue
Amount Per Serving Calories 40Total Fat 4gCarbohydrates 2gFiber 2gProtein 2g
If you are still looking for some Low Carb products, visit our recommended site on Amazon, which we participate in as affiliates. Just click on the image below and all will be revealed.
Living a Keto Lifestyle but still, have a sweet tooth?
Explore 31 Days with Top Keto & Low Carb Dessert Recipes.
All new recipes never featured anywhere else.