Are you looking for an easy, low-carb delicious chicken dinner? Try this delightful Stuffed Hasselback Chicken Recipe, which features juicy chicken breast with tomatoes and mozzarella. This low carb and keto hasselback chicken is an easy meal done in no time.
Our stuffed Caprese chicken Hasselback recipe is a great gluten-free and grain-free dinner option. The Italian flair you get with this easy and quick recipe will add a great overall experience.
I made this recipe when we first tried our tomato mozzarella baked chicken. It was so delicious that I made it a few times a week after that.
My family loved it so much that they asked me to make it again and again and something else close to it.
What is Hasselback?
The hasselback name comes from a trendy Swedish hotel restaurant in Stockholm called Hasselbacken, where their favorite potato recipe has been served daily since 1953. Leif Elisson created the famous Hasselback potato from Värmland, one of the restaurant’s trainee chefs.
It has become so popular that people started experimenting with this recipe at home. Most international chefs have created their version of Hasselback, using various ingredients instead of potatoes. One of them is a chicken, which we will be making today.
Why Will You Love This Recipe?
Giving food some Italian flair makes us feel like we are in Italy in the middle of summer, enjoying the long sunny days. It immediately uplifts your mood and makes the day much brighter.
And therefore, with this recipe, which you can make in the middle of dark rainy days or the coldest winter, the mood is always uplifted.
Can Cream Cheese Be Used in This Recipe?
You can undoubtedly add cream cheese mixture between the slits into the chicken for extra creaminess.
How To Prepare and Slice Cheesy Stuffed Caprese Chicken Hasselback?
Let us dive into the complete steps of how to prepare this delicious dinner. I have also made a video instruction, in case you prefer visual steps.
Kitchen gadgets needed:
- Baking sheet or baking dish or casserole dish
- Parchment Paper
- Sharp Knife
Ingredients used in this recipe:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Basil Leaves
- Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
First Step: Ingredients
Prepare all ingredients you will need for easier assembly. I went with the easiest option, and our hasselback chicken is stuffed with only cheese, tomatoes, and basil for a Caprese experience.
Second Step: Prepare the Chicken Breasts
Using a sharp knife, make 4-5 cutting slits into the chicken without cutting to the bottom of the chicken pieces. For the best results, ensure it is not cut all the way, so your chicken breast will stay compact. I usually cut it into 3/4 of the breast to fill them in.
Third Step: Fill the Chicken Breasts
Fill each slit with one piece of tomato, mozzarella, and one bigger leaf of basil. Continue until you have filled all the chicken breasts prepared.
Fourth Step: Baking Tray
At this point, heat the oven to 200 degrees C or 400 degrees F.
Line a baking tray with parchment paper and gently place the chicken on top of the tray.
Fifth Step: Olive Oil
Once your chicken breasts are spread nicely over the tray, sprinkle them generously with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Sixth Step: Salt, Pepper, and Bake
As the last step, sprinkle salt and pepper. You can add more flavor using your favorite seasoning or some additional herbs like Marjoram or oregano. If you are lucky to have an Italian seasoning at home, use this as well.
Place chicken in the oven and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees f.
The time will vary depending on the pieces of chicken you will be using.
You can check that by sticking a meat thermometer into the middle of thicker chicken breasts.
Once ready, take the chicken with slices out of the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Additions – you can swap or add shredded cheddar cheese, slices of bacon, or cooked bacon
- Seasoning – you can additionally season the chicken with your favorite seasoning mixture, such as our sausage, taco, or enchilada seasoning, to add even more flavors. Season your chicken before slicing, and let the chicken rest in a small bowl for a half-hour in your seasoning.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
What Do You Serve Stuffed Caprese Chicken Hasselback With?
Since this lovely stuffed chicken is already filled with flavor, a simple salad will do fine. As you see in the photos, I have also used our avocado egg salad, which has worked perfectly well. Tabbouleh salad, frozen cauliflower rice, cheesy cauliflower rice, cauliflower pumpkin puree or cauliflower rice could be another alternative as a side dish and creamed spinach.
Can I Air Fry the Hasselback Chicken Breast?
Air Fryer is another option to bake those delicious stuffed chicken breasts.
Place the chicken into the air fryer basket and set for 20 minutes at 200 Celsius or 400 Fahrenheit.
Can I Cook Hasselback Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
A slow cooker is an additional option, and it is also possible. Cooking it on low for 3 to 4 hours will give your chicken right soft consistency and will cook thoroughly.
What to Stuff Chicken With?
Additionally, it is trendy to use crumbled bacon and cheese or ham and cheese. You can add almost anything you have, like broccoli, jalapeno peppers, fresh spinach, goat cheese, zucchinis, peppers, onion, different pesto, artichokes, ricotta, fetta cheese, softened cream cheese, mushrooms, sharp cheddar cheese, sun-dried tomatoes. Think out of the box.
How Can I Make Jalapeno Popper Hasselback Chicken Recipe From This?
Super simple, adding jalapeno popper slices in between chicken will transform this dish into a flavorful extravaganza, a la jalapeno popper hasselback chicken. Depending on the spiciness and likens of jalapeno, you can add even a few jalapeno slices on top of each chicken breast.
Can I Make Hasselback Chicken Ahead of Time?
This recipe is perfect for meal planning as well. Once your chicken is baked, let it cool and store it in the closed glass container in your fridge. It will stay perfect for 3 to 4 days.
Once it is fully baked and you have some leftovers, then yes. You can freeze it.
However, I don’t suggest freezing the raw stuffed chicken for health reasons. And at the end, filling them up with fresh tomatoes and basil takes only a few minutes.
More Keto Chicken Dinner Recipes
Here are a few more exciting chicken dish recipes you might enjoy:
- How To Cook Frozen Chicken In Instant Pot
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Keto Egg Noodles
- Tomato Mozzarella Baked Chicken
- Ramen Chicken Noodles Recipe
- Chicken Stir Fry Shirataki Noodles Recipe
- Sauerkraut Chicken
- Stir fry
- Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Braised Chicken Thighs
- Meal Prep Firecracker Ground Chicken
Pin for later
Need Support or have Questions? Join our Free Facebook Group.
For weekly New Recipes and a FREE E-Book get into our NEWSLETTER.
Full recipe with printout option
Thank you for giving us 5 stars
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 Mozarella
- 1/2 cup Basil leaves
- olive oil
- salt pepper
- Prepare all ingredients you will need for easier assembly.
- Using a sharp knife, make 4-5 cutting slits into the chicken without cutting to the bottom of the chicken pieces.
- Fill each slit with one piece of tomato, mozzarella, and one bigger leaf of basil. Continue until you have filled all the chicken breasts prepared.
- At this point, heat the oven to 200 degrees C or 400 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and gently place the chicken on top of the tray.
- Once your chicken breasts are spread nicely over the tray, sprinkle them generously with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- As the last step, sprinkle salt and pepper. Place chicken in the oven and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees f.
- Additions - you can swap or add shredded cheddar cheese, slices of bacon, or cooked bacon
- Seasoning - you can additionally season the chicken with your favorite seasoning mixture, such as our sausage, taco, or enchilada seasoning, to add even more flavors. Season your chicken before slicing, and let the chicken rest in a small bowl for a half-hour in your seasoning.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 284Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 113mgSodium 326mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 41g
If you are still looking for some Low Carb products, visit our recommended site on Amazon, which we participate in as affiliates. Just click on the image below and all will be revealed.