Learn How To Make Cauliflower Rice in Seconds for the Best Keto Side Dish Cauliflower Rice Recipes. Complete Guide on Making Low Carb Rice Without using a Food Processor and be ready to Cook Keto Rice daily.
Alternative to rice
Do you love cauliflower rice? If not, this is about to change.
Cauliflower rice is a great substitute for regular rice. It’s similar in texture but has a slightly different flavor. You can make cauliflower fried rice for the freezer or eat it directly. You can also use cauliflower rice in stir-fries and stews.
And today, I will show you the trick or a hack, where you can make your rice out of a head of cauliflower in just a few seconds.
Don’t have a food processor? Not a problem.
Don’t have a box grater? No worries
It has changed my life, and I use cauli rice much more. So sit down and enjoy.
Way to use cauliflower rice
Once you learn my super easy trick on transforming it into rice in just a few seconds, you will be ready to dive into my easy recipes made using cauliflower rice.
First and foremost is sushi, which tastes even better than ordinary sushi using regular rice.
Later, you can try coconut riced cauliflower, oven-baked frozen cauli, cheesy rice, keto mashed, or read all about different cauliflower rice recipes.
How do I make riced cauliflower from fresh cauliflower?
With our easy steps, you will discover how quickly you can turn a fresh cauliflower into perfectly uniformed rice using a simple blender like Vitamix or any other brand.
What is cauliflower rice?
Cauliflower rice is a riced cauliflower made from a whole cauliflower using various methods.
Cauli rice is a big part of the keto and low-carb lifestyle. It is an excellent replacement for regular white rice used as a side dish in various recipes. Made either in a food processor, chopped or grated, different method has been introduced.
Until about a few years ago, we only had homemade cauliflower rice. Recently because of its great popularity, various shops have started selling cauliflower rice already made and prepared for cooking.
Origin of cauliflower rice
Cauliflower rice was introduced in California under the name couscous by chef Ben Ford. The son of the famous actor Harrison Ford, while opening his restaurant in Chadwick (which has been closed now), introduced the couscous dish.
His initial recipe was flavored with truffle butter. Various spices and herbs were added to cauliflower, which resembled an authentic couscous color and texture.
The big hype came only after chef Eric Ripert from New York introduced the dish in his television show Avec Eric.
By then, Chadwick restaurant had already been a trendy spot, and word of mouth started rolling enormously.
Only after paleo, keto, and low carb diets were introduced did people change the name to rice as it resembles regular white rice, which is not a part of the lifestyle.
What is raw cauliflower rice made from?
Cauliflower rice is made from a cauliflower head. Cut into smaller pieces and then chopped into rice-looking grains to resemble rice.
Only one ingredient is used as a rice substitute: fresh cauliflower.
Is cauliflower rice good for you?
Cauliflower rice is delicious and an excellent substitute for rice in our lifestyle. It also has much fewer calories and carbohydrates than regular rice.
Even though rice is naturally grown and has excellent nutrition, in our lifestyle, low-carb rice is a great replacement with a significant nutritional boost added to your dish.
Is cauliflower white rice a good substitute for regular rice?
With an almost identical resemblance to regular white rice, cauliflower is a perfect rice alternative for our lifestyle.
It could be used as rice in all low-carb recipe variations, such as fried rice, coconut-flavored rice, oven-baked rice, cheesy rice, or mashed cauliflower as a replacement for mashed potatoes.
What does cauliflower rice taste like?
How cauliflower rice tastes depends on how you will use it and what recipe you will pick.
Uncooked low-carb rice tastes like cauliflower. You should not expect a traditional rice taste using cauliflower as a substitution.
Using different recipes with various spices, herbs, cooking methods, baking, frying, mashing, using Instant Pot or an Air Fryer, you can magically transform keto rice into authentic, tasty rice dishes that fit your lifestyle.
And they resemble the taste of rice.
How many carbs are in cauliflower rice?
From one cauliflower, you get approximately 4 cups of cauliflower rice. One cup of rice, which is about 100 grams, contains 5 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of fiber.
Compared to rice, which has about 45 grams of carbs per cup, our 3 net carbs of low-carb rice give you the main reason why you should add riced cauliflower into your lifestyle.
Cauliflower rice calories
Now, this is a game changer.
One cup of cauliflower rice contains 28 calories compared to the 200 calories of regular white or brown rice.
This means you can add rice to your breakfast, lunch, and dinner and still be deficient in calories.
Four ways how to make cauliflower into rice
There are four ways which are possible to make cauliflower rice:
- Chop with a knife – using a knife to chop the cauliflower slowly into rice is the traditional and most known way. It does takes time and makes a massive mess in your kitchen. But if you only have a knife, you get the job done.
- Grate with a cheese grater – using a cheese grater is another method of making your low-carb rice. It is, again, very time-consuming and hard labor, especially if you are planning to grate a whole head or more. Simply grinding the veggie, where you use a box grater, will get you the rice you need.
- Use a food processor – placing cauliflower in the food processor and pulsing is much simpler than the previous two suggestions. If you have a food processor fitted with a shredding attachment, you can quickly turn cauliflower into florets. But you will not get as uniformed-looking rice out of the cauliflower as you wish. It is quick for a food processor to make rice, but I would suggest a blender.
- Blender with water – using a blender together with water is the best and easiest way to make and transform florets into perfect rice rice in seconds. Transfer the cauliflower to rice without a food processor. We are going to expand.
Step-by-step cauliflower like rice video
I also include a video for an easier understanding as some people might find visual ways much easier to follow. Especially when you want to see how to process the cauliflower with my trick.
Simple way to make cauliflower rice without a food processor or box grater
I believe this is the best, fastest, and most efficient way to grate the cauliflower in seconds.
How to grate raw cauliflower florets into keto rice?
Let us dive into the steps and ways to best and easiest transform cauliflower and use it as an alternative to rice.
Kitchen gadgets needed:
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING EASY RECIPE FOR LOW-CARB RICE
First step: Prepare your ingredients
All you have to do is to prepare your cauliflower and cold water.
Wash and clean our cauliflower head either using a knife or your hands. Cut the cauliflower or break it into small florets. It is advisable to get small florets as more will fit into your blender and save time if you plan to make more low-carb rice.
Cutting cauliflower into large florets will not work the best.
Second step: Fill up the blender
Place pieces of cauliflower into your Vitamix or any blender to about 3/4.
Add cold water to submerge all of the florets and close the lid entirely.
Third step: Blend
Pulse the cauliflower or blend for 10 to 20 seconds, depending on the type and strength of your blender.
You will see when the rice is entirely cut into small pieces, the size of rice.
Watching the magic of how a blender can rice the cauliflower in seconds is something unforgettable. Every single time.
Fourth step: Sieve the rice
Using a sieve, pour all the rice and mix it a few times to get rid of most of the water.
Fifth step: Store and use
Store and use. Pick a few cups to cook the cauliflower for the evening, and the rest freeze.
Measure the amount of rice you will freeze for the future.
The best way to store it is to place the cauliflower into a zip-log bag.
I freeze 2 cups of cauliflower rice in each zip-log bag.
That is just about the amount I might need.
If needed more, I take more than a bag of frozen cauliflower.
You can add uncooked cauliflower rice directly into your dishes for the last few minutes.
Tips for making the best cauliflower rice
- Smaller florets – smaller you cut your florets, the more they will fit into your blender and the less time it will take to make rice.
- Store – best to use cups in measuring the amount of cauliflower rice you store. Two cups per zip-log bag are suitable for a smaller family. If more is needed, take out more bags at the time of need.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
What side dish do you serve with low carb rice?
As you know now how to make your keto rice super quickly, it is time for some suggestions on what to serve it with.
Use the rice with the following:
- Beef stew goulash
- Sausage balls
- Caprese chicken Hasselback
- Taco meat
- Tomato mozzarella baked chicken
- Ground beef meal prep
Do you need to add to cauliflower anything else?
To process the cauliflower into rice, nothing needs to be added. All of the spices and herbs are only added when you are cooking a particular recipe.
Do you cook cauliflower rice the same as regular rice?
How to cook the cauliflower rice depends on what dish you plan to prepare. Cauliflower rice cooks and fries much faster and might end up in a mushy structure you are not looking for. As it does not behave the same way as regular rice, you must be careful how to use it.
There are many ways to cook cauliflower rice, and each should be carefully made.
For example, if you use frozen cauliflower rice, do not unfreeze it before cooking but immediately add the frozen bits. I have made a perfect oven-baked fried rice and got it into an ideal, almost crunchy state.
With our coconut riced recipe and cheesy, I have let the rice cook on medium heat for only a minute or two.
Like you would make regular, you can make fried rice with cauliflower. The best way to make it is if you add cauliflower rice at the same time as you would add cooked rice. Since it needs only a few minutes to cook, it will be done by the time you add eggs and everything else.
How much rice is in one head of cauliflower?
One medium head of cauliflower will get you 4 cups of rice.
How long does homemade cauliflower rice last?
Cauliflower rice can be stored in the fridge, where it will last you approximately the same time as a raw head of cauliflower does.
I suggest storing it in the fridge for approximately 3 to 4 days. Otherwise, freeze for late.
Can you freeze cauliflower rice?
You can undoubtedly freeze cauliflower rice, and that is exactly what I do when making those grains of rice.
No need to de-freeze as you can use frozen riced cauliflower directly for your cooking.
An example is our low-carb baked rice. If you add the riced cauliflower directly from the freezer, it uses moisture from the cauliflower to cook. Towards the end, it crunches as well.
Best cauliflower rice recipes to try
Check out these dishes! Here are some more recipes to make with cauliflower:
- Stuffed pepper with rice – swap shirataki
- Tabbouleh salad – replace instead of hemp seeds
- Coconut riced cauliflower
- Oven-baked frozen cauliflower
- Cheesy cauliflower rice
- Mashed cauliflower
- Recipes made with cauliflower
Pin for later
Need Support or have Questions? Join our Free Facebook Group.
For weekly New Recipes and a FREE E-Book get into our NEWSLETTER.
Full Recipe with print out option
Thank you for giving us 5 stars.
- 1 Cauliflower Head
- All you have to do is to prepare your cauliflower and cold water. Wash and clean our cauliflower head either using a knife or your hands. Cut the cauliflower or break it into small florets.
- Place pieces of cauliflower into your Vitamix or any blender to about 3/4. Add cold water to submerge all of the florets and close the lid entirely.
- Pulse the cauliflower or blend for 10 to 20 seconds, depending on the type and strength of your blender. You will see when the rice is entirely cut into small pieces, the size of rice.
- Using a sieve, pour all the rice and mix it a few times to get rid of most of the water.
- Store and use. Pick a few cups to cook the cauliflower for the evening, and the rest freeze. Measure the amount of rice you will freeze for the future. The best way to store it is to place the cauliflower into a zip-log bag.
- Smaller florets - smaller you cut your florets, the more they will fit into your blender and the less time it will take to make rice.
- Store - best to use cups in measuring the amount of cauliflower rice you store. Two cups per zip-log bag are suitable for a smaller family. If more is needed, take out more bags at the time of need.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 Cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 20Total Fat 0gCarbohydrates 5gFiber 2gProtein 2g
If you are still looking for some Low Carb products, visit our recommended site on Amazon, which we participate in as affiliates. Just click on the image below and all will be revealed.