Using the cold start method, learn how to create a creamy and delicious Homemade Low Carb Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe. This easy-to-follow recipe will guide you through making Greek yogurt in the Instant Pot using cold milk and offering a hassle-free way to enjoy your favorite homemade yogurt with just a few simple steps.
Homemade Yogurt Recipes
Yogurt is a big part of our lifestyle. In our household, we use it almost daily. I either use it for cooking our taco soup or sauerkraut chicken, use it for baking our famous yogurt buns, for breakfast, mix it with our granola, dried blueberries or sugar-free strawberry jam for my daughter, or just plain with some berries. Yogurt is always in the fridge.
And if you can not wait, make the easiest and the fastest yogurt cheesecake, where you only need two ingredients.
Benefits of Yogurt
Yogurt is one of the most beneficial milk products for our overall health.
We all use it for cooking and baking. There are also wide varieties of making face masks, hair masks and mixing them into natural remedies.
To name a few of the benefits of yogurt:
- It helps us with the nourishment of our hair
- Adds to a great complexion
- It helps with our digestion
- It helps us keep our Immune system intact
- Help fights various yeast infections
- It is filled with nutrients needed for our overall health
- It helps us promote health management
- It contains protein, which is much needed for our lifestyle
Yogurt is usually produced in the factories but from now on, also at home with your Instant Pot.
Why Make Yogurt in an Instant Pot at Home?
- Ingredients – you know exactly what you put in. You pick the best, healthiest milk and yogurt you know exists to start the process, and you do not add anything else. In that way, you are sure there is nothing extra to either keep it fresh longer, keep the taste better, make the yogurt cheaper, or, on some occasions, add unhealthy ingredients for no reason. All you have inside is your milk and your yogurt.
- Fresh – you have perfectly fresh yogurt all the time. You know exactly when you made it, and there is no shop where you can get the freshest yogurt than from your Instant Pot the minute it is done.
- Money-saving – getting the best quality organic and bio yogurt without any artificial ingredients is not easy to find; if you do, it costs a lot. This way, you know precisely what you pay for, which is never more than in the shop.
- Amount – For a big family, who loves yogurt, the turnaround is massive. Making your own at home saves you so much time.
- Wastage – to buy fresh yogurts all the time, we usually pick smaller packaging to be able to have the freshest yogurt for use. But this adds to all the plastic containers you must always throw into the garbage. Making it at home and using a glass container saves lots of trash.
- Hassle-free – using an Instant Pot saves you all the hassle and cleaning additional bowls and post you would need if you make yogurt without this terrific gadget.
- Best environment – the Instant Pot yogurt feature is set to keep the temperature between 106F – 113F, which helps the good bacteria to thrive ideally.
- Cold start – because of the way Instant Pot is programmed, you are not cooking anything; therefore, this is a no-boil or cold start yogurt making process.
How Is Actual Yogurt Made?
During the fermentation process, bacterial cultures interact with milk transforming it into a curd, which then, at the same time, gives the milk a different taste. One of the fermentation byproducts is lactic acid, which then determines if the process of yogurt is finished, which is normally done in 3-4 hours.
More about the process of fermentation and making an actual yogurt can be found in the article from MadeHow.
Yogurt on Low Carb and Keto Lifestyle?
As all of us trying to stay on a keto or low-carb lifestyle, know, labels are very important. And we need to read each one of the labels of the product we see the first time.
Marketing agencies know how to put together all the wordings of the products to make you feel how best, healthiest, and whatsoever that particular store bought yogurt or any other product is.
For us, I first look at the total amount of carbs and then the ingredients containing that particular product.
That makes me decide if I read further or leave the product in the shop and forget about it forever.
Can I Have Yogurt in a Low-Carb Lifestyle?
Definitely YES, but you have to ensure it is plain yogurt without any flavorings. It is the easiest to make the flavors yourselves at home.
The base is always plain yogurt; Instant Pot cold start Greek yogurt from now on.
Why Pick Greek Yogurt To Make Yogurt at Home?
Greek yogurt has an entirely different texture and taste than the normal one. It is much, much creamier, thicker, and less sour than usual. But be careful. It also contains much more calories, so consider that when you are into calculations.
In the end, it is all up to you and your preferences, which type of yogurt you prefer.
How To Make Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe Cold Start Method?
By making yogurt in the Instant Pot, the process is the easiest you can imagine.
This perfectly easy-to-make homemade Instant Pot keto cold start Greek yogurt is done in no time using your one and only Instant Pot. Soft, rich, creamy, extremely tasty, and a big part of our low-carb living, this gluten-free, diabetic-friendly, and healthy Greek yogurt could be used for cooking, baking, breakfast, dinners, or whatever you desire.
What Do I Need To Make Yogurt?
Kitchen Gadgets Needed:
- Instant Pot
- Organic Whole Milk
- Greek Yogurt with active cultures
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKING HOMEMADE YOGURT
First Step: Prepare Ingredients
Prepare your ingredients that is, whole milk and yogurt. If you are using store-bought yogurt, make sure it has live cultures.
Second Step: Start the Process
Pour the milk into the Instant Pot. Add two tablespoons of live cultured Greek yogurt into the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
Using a whisk, whisk the yogurt starter into the milk as much as possible. This will ensure your yogurt will become smooth.
Close the lid, switch on the yogurt function and off you go.
Third Step: Store
Once your Instant Pot beeps, that is the sign yogurt is done and ready. Remove the inner pot out of the Instant Pot and let the yogurt milk to cool a bit. Cover with cling film and place the inner pot into the fridge for the finished yogurt to cool down thoroughly and thicken even more.
TIPS AND TRICKS TO MAKE GREEK YOGURT WITHOUT A YOGURT STARTER:
- Starter – you need store-bought yogurt as your starter with live cultures or use a yogurt starter.
- Amount – I have used 1/4 of a gallon of milk to make this yogurt, but you can halve the recipe with only 1 tablespoon of yogurt, double or triple the amount using the same steps and time.
- Storing – pour the yogurt into a glass container with the lid and store it in your fridge. Your homemade yogurt will last for 7 to 10 days.
- Reuse – once you plan to make a new batch of yogurt, you can use 2 tablespoons of yogurt as a Greek yogurt starter.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Do I Need To Add Yogurt Starter for This Instant Pot Greek Yogurt Recipe?
You do not need any particular starter cultures for the yogurt. All you need is a good quality Greek yogurt with live cultures and good quality milk or heavy cream, as I have mentioned below.
Can You Make Yogurt in the Instant Pot From Heavy Cream?
Because most of my recipes are made especially to the taste of my daughter, who is a T1 diabetic, and that started our journey to the low-carb lifestyle, I always think of adding more calories for her.
And yes, I have experienced it by replacing milk with heavy cream and will do it repeatedly. Heavy cream gave the extra creaminess and even more texture, which we really loved. The procedure is precisely the same. All you have to do is add 1 liter of milk instead of 1 liter of heavy cream.
I suggest you try that version as well because the creaminess and taste are unbelievable.
Or you can also make yogurt from your homemade coconut milk.
How Do I Know Yogurt Is Ready?
As per direct instructions from Instant Pot and settings for yogurt making, it is 8 hours.
But frankly, on one occasion, I could not wait anymore and opened the Instant Pot after 5 hours.
I have not seen the difference in texture or taste compared to 8 hours. So if you do not have time, set it up to 5 or 6 hours, and you get the perfect results.
Suppose your Instant Pot does not have a yogurt button. In that case, you can still make yogurt using the “Keep Warm” function or by manually setting the pot to a low temperature (around 110°F to 115°F) and maintaining it for the required incubation period. Follow the recipe steps, and monitor the temperature closely using a food thermometer to ensure the yogurt sets appropriately.
How Can I Make the Yogurt Thicker?
If you are one of the people who love Greek yogurt to be as thick as possible, you can add one additional step to the process.
Strain the yogurt
Once the yogurt is cooled down, you can strain even more whey from the yogurt by letting it set through a muslin cloth or a unique yogurt filter if you have one.
Let it strain overnight, and press yogurt once done to release even more. You will be surprised how much extra whey or liquid you can still get from it and, as a result, get much thicker yogurt.
What Can You Make With Yogurt?
Savory or sweet, there are so many dishes and treats you can add yogurt into.
- Cool down and refuel with guilt-free yogurt protein popsicles.
- Enjoy a low-carb twist on a classic with a keto “potato” salad.
- Indulge in a delicious and carb-conscious breakfast with keto bagels.
- Savor the rich and creamy goodness of ripple cheesecake.
- Delight your taste buds with the smooth and velvety texture of yogurt cheesecake.
- Spice up your salads with the zesty kick of creamy salsa dressing.
- Add a refreshing crunch to your meal with broccoli salad.
- Sink your teeth into fluffy and satisfying yogurt buns.
- Treat yourself to the perfect balance of flavors in peanut butter cheesecake.
- Satisfy your carb cravings with fiber bread rolls.
- Celebrate special moments with the sweetness of Valentine’s popsicles.
- Experience a burst of citrusy delight in lemon cheesecake.
- One of our favorite drinks is salt lassi; this yogurt is just a perfect base.
- You can also use it as a substitute for baking powder.
Whether you use the “Yogurt” setting or an alternative method, this easy recipe for Instant Pot yogurt will reward you with a delicious and creamy result, perfect for enjoying as is or used in various dishes.
Pin For Later
Need Support or have Questions? Join our Free Facebook Group.
For weekly New Recipes and a FREE E-Book get into our NEWSLETTER.
Full Recipe With Print Out Option
Thank you for giving us 5 stars
- 1 Liter (4 Cups) Organic Milk
- 2 Tablespoons (30 grams) Organic Greek Yogurt with live cultures
- Prepare your ingredients that is, whole milk and yogurt. If you are using store-bought yogurt, make sure it has live cultures.
- Pour the milk into the Instant Pot. Add two tablespoons of live cultured Greek yogurt into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Using a whisk, whisk the yogurt starter into the milk as much as possible. This will ensure your yogurt will become smooth. Close the lid, switch on the yogurt function and off you go.
- Once your Instant Pot beeps, that is the sign yogurt is done and ready. Remove the inner pot out of the Instant Pot and let the yogurt milk to cool a bit. Cover with cling film and place the inner pot into the fridge for the finished yogurt to cool down thoroughly and thicken even more.
- Starter - you need store-bought yogurt as your starter with live cultures or use a yogurt starter.
- Amount - I have used 1/4 of a gallon of milk to make this yogurt, but you can halve the recipe with only 1 tablespoon of yogurt, double or triple the amount using the same steps and time.
- Storing - pour the yogurt into a glass container with the lid and store it in your fridge. Your homemade yogurt will last for 7 to 10 days.
- Reuse - once you plan to make a new batch of yogurt, you can use 2 tablespoons of yogurt as a Greek yogurt starter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 68Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCarbohydrates 6gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 5g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 2/15/2019
If you are still looking for some Low Carb products, visit our recommended site on Amazon, which we participate in as affiliates. Just click on the image below and all will be revealed.
Living a Keto Lifestyle but still, have a sweet tooth?
Explore 31 Days with Top Keto & Low Carb Dessert Recipes.
All new recipes never featured anywhere else.