This decadent Breakfast Keto Sausage Gravy recipe with rich flavor has just been transformed from Classic Southern Cuisine into a perfect Low Carb Comfort Food. Entirely Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, and Diabetic Friendly, traditional gravy has been healthified with the same texture and taste but using a low-carb thickener.
Keto Sausage Recipes
And that is a staple of southern cooking, a delicious and super easy to make Breakfast Sausage gravy.
Sausage with gravy
When I first tried making the sausage gravy recipe at home, it was after our visit from the States, where I could not forget the aroma and excellent flavors of our breakfast dish.
But of course, living in Europe, nobody knew what I was talking about, not to mention looking for a restaurant where they would serve sausage with gravy for breakfast or dinner.
My only option was to make my own homemade white gravy recipe for us to enjoy again and again. And there went my exploration.
Keto Sausage Gravy
As we have transformed into a low-carb lifestyle, I got rid of all of the possible flour variations in the kitchen and exchanged them for Keto and Low Carb Flour Substitutes.
Naturally, lots of the dishes I used to make have been put aside for never to touch again. And my homemade sausage gravy recipe was one of them.
I have just decided we do not need it, as the sauce needed to be thickened, and I had no idea how to, without potato starch or flour.
Years have passed, and I learned a thing or two about low carb and keto cooking. I have found an un-fattened almond flour, which I used as a thickening agent for our sauces.
But I did not think of my long-forgotten Sausage with Gravy.
Keto Sausage Recipes
My Homemade Sausage was the reason it all came back.
One day I woke up and thought of the long-forgotten sausage gravy. I wanted it right at that moment.
I went to buy some sausage, but they did not have what I needed.
And this is how all of our Keto Sausage recipes came about.
Keto and Low Carb Recipe Blog
The great part is that I am a blogger, and as I have to make most of my favorite American recipes from scratch, I can all share them with you.
Because you never know.
You might not be able to find it around you. You might live in a different country and would love to explore.
Or you are following our lifestyle and still want to enjoy decadent and flavorful dishes without loaded carbohydrates.
What is Sausage Gravy?
Sausage Gravy is a breakfast meal popular in the United States. This Traditional Southern breakfast classic is served mainly with biscuits, fried eggs, some tomatoes, and bacon.
Sausage Gravy is a thick gravy mixed with cooked sausage and softened with milk to give it that beautiful white sauce look.
This Southern Staple dish can also be called breakfast gravy, biscuits gravy, southern gravy, or white sausage gravy.
Traditional Sausage Gravy is very far from keto-friendly. Usually thickened with starches or flour and mixed with milk, it contains many carbohydrates we all aim to avoid.
Developing Keto Sausage and Gravy recipes for you has been my passion, and I can tell you that after making my recipe, you can confidently say that sausage gravy is also keto-friendly. As long as you make your own.
Our recipe for sausage gravy contains a whopping 3 grams of carbohydrates only.
Together with one gram of fiber, this easy sausage gravy recipe brings you to 2 grams of net carbs per portion.
What sausage is best to use for keto sausage gravy?
First and foremost, you have to make sure that if you are buying a ready-made sausage, you read the labels. You might have no idea what everything goes into a sausage and meat product. Starches, sugar, syrups, you name it.
All of those will increase your carbohydrates intake, and even if you are trying to make the best keto recipe, it will still contain lots of carbohydrates from a simple sausage alone.
For making Gluten-Free sausage gravy, you can, in general, use any type of minced meat sausages, be it beef, pork, veal, chicken, or lamb. You can buy Jimmy Dean Sausage, Kroger Breakfast Sausage, just to name a few.
But the best of all is to make your sausage at home because it is not only super easy and I have the recipe for you, but also you know precisely what you have put in.
What do you serve with Sausage Gravy?
As Sausage Gravy is usually served with Biscuits, I have prepared a great Keto Biscuit recipe for you.
But you can serve this delicious gravy also with:
- Our Yogurt Chaffles
- Steamed bread, which is a perfect soft dumpling-like keto bread made especially for sauces, stews, and gravy
- Low Carb Yogurt Buns
- Keto Farmers Bread
- Fiber Bread Rolls
How To Make Keto Sausage Gravy?
Making sausage gravy is super easy, and following our steps, you are going to have it done in less than half-hour.
Kitchen Gadgets needed:
- Cooking Pot
- Sour Cream
- Xanthan Gum – optional
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKING EASIEST KETO SAUSAGE GRAVY
First Step: Ingredients needed for making keto sausage gravy
First of all, prepare all of your ingredients.
Regarding the sausage, I have used our homemade keto sausage with sausage seasoning, and therefore there is no need to add any additional seasoning.
Chop your onion into small pieces, and prepare sour cream and butter.
Regarding Xanthan gum, it depends if you want your sauce or gravy to be Thick or not.
Second Step: Butter
Heat your saucepan over medium heat.
Place butter into your pot and let it melt.
Third Step: Onion
Once the butter is melted, add onion and caramelize them until golden brown.
Fourth Step: Sausage
Depending on what type of sausage you use, take the skin out and squeeze all mixtures into the pot.
Start cooking the meat until the color changes, approximately 10-15 minutes.
Fifth Step: Thickening agent
Adding a thickening agent like Xanthan gum is the best to use at this step.
Xanthan gum works because it starts thickening your dishes during the cooking process.
Adding the Xanthan gum to the meat and mixing it before adding a sauce will make sure the powder will spread evenly and will not leave any residue.
Once you sprinkle Xanthan gum on the sausage, mix it all.
Sixth Step: Sour cream
Now it’s time to add sour cream. You can also use cream cheese or heavy cream if you wish to.
I just feel sour cream gives you the best taste and flavor.
Seventh Step: Mix all together
Mix all sour cream into the sausage and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
Remember, the sauce will still thicken during the cooling process.
Tips and Tricks:
- Spices – Traditional gravy gets its flavor from the sausage, and that is what I wanted to be kept at. Our homemade Sausage contains enough of a flavorful spice mixture that there is no need to add more.
- Sour Cream – can be replaced with cream cheese or heavy whipping cream
- Sauce too thick – use broth or water or almond milk
- Sauce too liquid – add a tiny bit more Xanthan or un-fattened almond flour
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
How to thicken Sausage gravy in Keto Lifestyle?
There are various ways you can thicken any of the Keto Sauces and our sausage gravy included.
- Xanthan Gum – At the moment, my favorite is Xanthan gum, but you do have to be very careful not to add too much because your gravy will turn into a slimy non-edible dish.
- Cook longer – let it cook for longer, so the water evaporates
- Cream cheese – sometimes a dash of cream cheese will help in slight thickening
- Unfattened almond flour – similar to coconut flour consistency but without the strong coconut flavor, Unfattened almond flour has been my go-to ingredient for thickening for years.
- Blender – you can take half a cup of gravy with sausage and blend it. This will make a perfect thick sauce, which can be placed back to the whole dish afterward.
What if the gravy is too thick?
If your gravy becomes too thick, adding a dash of broth, water, or almond milk will liquidize it.
How do you store Keto Sausage Gravy?
Place your keto gravy into a glass container with a lid. Your keto sausage gravy will last in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Can you freeze Low Carb Sausage Gravy?
You can quickly freeze low-carb sausage gravy using either a mason jar or glass container.
Before using it, it is best to take your jar from the freezer the night before and let it thaw naturally in the refrigerator.
Other Sausage Recipes
Pin for later
Need Support or have Questions? Join our Free Facebook Group.
For weekly New Recipes and a FREE E-Book get into our NEWSLETTER.
Full Recipe with Print Out Option
Thank you for giving us five stars.
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 lb 500 grams Sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 Cup Sour Cream - can use heavy cream
- Spices - no need because they are already inside the sausage
- First of all, prepare all of your ingredients. Regarding the sausage, I have used our homemade keto sausage with sausage seasoning, and therefore there is no need to add any additional seasoning. Chop your onion into small pieces, and prepare sour cream and butter.
- Heat your saucepan over medium heat. Place butter into your pot and let it melt.
- Once the butter is melted, add onion and caramelize them until golden brown.
- Depending on what type of sausage you use, take the skin out and squeeze all mixtures into the pot. Start cooking the meat until the color changes, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Adding a thickening agent like Xanthan gum is the best to use at this step. Once you sprinkle Xanthan gum on the sausage, mix it all.
- Now it's time to add sour cream. You can also use cream cheese or heavy cream if you wish to.
- Mix all sour cream into the sausage and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Remember, the sauce will still thicken during the cooling process.
- Spices - Traditional gravy gets its flavor from the sausage, and that is what I wanted to be kept at. Our homemade Sausage contains enough of a flavorful spice mixture that there is no need to add more.
- Sour Cream - can be replaced with cream cheese or heavy whipping cream
- Sauce too thick - use broth or water or almond milk
- Sauce too liquid - add a tiny bit more Xanthan or un-fattened almond flour
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 142Total Fat 14gCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gProtein 3g
If you are still looking for some Low Carb products, visit our recommended site on Amazon, which we participate in as affiliates. Just click on the image below and all will be revealed.
A 7-day guided challenge to get into Ketosis. Includes a complete meal plan with recipes, shopping list and pantry list, a Step-by-Step Keto Quick Start Guide, a Keto Success, and Motivation Journal emailed to you daily, and access to a supportive Keto community.