Keto Vanilla Crescent Cookies, that are extremely soft with a pinch of crispiness in them with Melt In Your Mouth feeling you will never forget. Those buttery vanilla-infused Low Carb Moon Shape Cookies need to be on your festivity table every single year. Grain-free, Gluten-free, and Sugar-Free Keto Vanilla Cookies are here to stay forever.
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See disclosure.
Origins of Vanilla Crescent Cookies
Vanillekipferl as originally named is a Moon Shaped Cookies covered in powdered sugar and served throughout the coffee shops in Austria mostly during Christmas Time.
A traditional Austrian Christmas Butter Cookie recipe does not require eggs and could be done either with almonds or walnuts.
Originated in Vienna 400 years ago after the victory of the Hungarian army over the Turkish, bakers have come up with the cookies shaped into the Crescent which is characterized by the Turkish Flag.
Some say that they have been shaped after the Hungarian Kifli, which are croissant-like Pastry popular in Hungary.
Whatever the truth is, those soft, melt in your mouth cookies have become popular since then and are a big part of Christmas baking all over Central Europe such as Austria, Hungary, Slovak Republic, Poland, Czech Republic, and Romania.
And it can not be that me, coming from Slovakia and living in Austria would have missed having those beauties on our website. Let us have those Vienesse Almond Crescent cookies throughout the whole year.
Keto Vanilla Crescent Cookies
Living Low Carb for over 9 years now, we have tried several variations of those lovely Moon shaped Cookies. Within the first few months, I have discovered a great mix on one of the German Low Carb website, which we have tried and fell deeply in love with.
This has postponed making our Keto Vanilla Crescent Cookies from scratch for years. I did not have to. My daughter loved them, so I just kept ordering the mixture every time before Christmas.
But then came the day when I said enough. I do have to make them from scratch and I was positive I will come up with the texture if not better for the sake of my daughter.
And since now, we have got also our Homemade Vanilla Extract ready to be used, there are no more excuses.
And then came the time of the trials.
Let us skip the first few times.
Two Variations of Vanilla Crescent Cookies
After all of the successful and not so successful baking trials, I have decided on 2 main variations. One with only almond flour and one with the addition of Protein Powder.
Viennese Almond Crescent Cookies
I have baked both on the same day and invited some of my Non-Keto Austrian Friends to choose and pick the better version.
All, including my daughter, have said, the one with Protein Powder is the best and closest to the real deal.
The decision was made.
Until Next Morning when my husband came and I let him try them as well. His favorite was the one with only almond flour.
That has completely messed up my decision.
So I have decided to write about both and it is up to you to choose the one you prefer.
The texture of Keto Vanilla Crescent Cookies
Both of the Moon shaped Cookies are very soft with a real melt in your mouth feeling.
The Protein ones have a pinch of crispiness in them and that is what everyone liked.
Another advantage of using Protein Powder was the reduction of additional ingredients in the recipe. Since I have used Vanilla Protein powder already sweetened, I skipped vanilla and sugar altogether.
Why This Keto Vanilla Crescents Cookies Recipe Works?
- They are irresistible once tried
- They are soft and crispy at the same time
- Melt in your mouth feeling will let you want more
- Easy to make
- Only 5 ingredients needed
What do you need to make Keto Vanilla Cookies
- Almond Flour or Ground Almonds Blanched
- Vanilla Protein Powder
- Egg Yolks
- Baking Powder
That’s all. Only 5 Ingredients. How easy is that?
Kitchen Tools for making the best ever Keto Vanilla Crescent Cookies
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR KETO VANILLA CRESCENT COOKIES
FIRST STEP: Prepare all Ingredients
Prepare all of the ingredients and place them one by one into a bowl big enough so you are able to mix them all. There are no steps on what goes first and what last. I normally place all of the dry ingredients first and then add eggs and butter.
Make sure the butter is soft at room temperature, otherwise you will not be able to mix is properly.
SECOND STEP: Mix
Using a silicone spatula, mix all of the ingredients properly into one smooth dough.
If you find spatula too difficult to mix with, use your hands.
Keep mixing until all is well incorporated.
THIRD STEP: Refrigerate
Once the dough is mixed, place the bowl into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour. For the dough to be able to roll and shape, it needs to be really cold.
FOURTH STEP: ¼ dough only
Take the only ¼ of the dough and place it on a parchment paper for rolling. The rest of the dough should always stay cold while you are shaping the cookies. Keep the rest in the Refridgerator until you are finished.
FIFTH STEP: Roll and Shape
Roll the 1/4 of the dough into a log. Using your spatula, separate that log into smaller pieces the same size.
One by one, take each piece and roll with your hand into a small log and shape into a Moon looking cookie. Place each on a baking tray covered with another Parchment Paper.
The cookies will rise a bit while baking, therefore make sure there is a bit of space in between each.
Once you are finished, take another ¼ of the dough and repeat the steps.
SIXTH STEP: Bake
Once all of the Moon Shape Cookies are on the baking tray, place them into the preheated oven and bake. They will rise a bit so make sure you have a bit of space between each.
SEVENTH STEP: Sugar Dusting
Once the Keto Vanilla Crescent Cookies are baked, take them from the oven and while still warm, dust them with Vanilla Protein Powder using a sieve. Dusting the cookies while still warm will help the protein coating stick onto the cookies and stays put.
DO NOT TOUCH THE COOKIES WHILE WARM. They will crumble in your hands. They need to cool completely to harden a bit.
Vanilla Kipferl Cookies are very soft in nature and it is advisable to handle them really gently. Some might break in the process, but that is a great advantage of eating some right away.
DO NOT TOUCH WARM COOKIES – they only harden once they cool. If you do touch them while they are still warm, they will crumble in your hand (my own experience)
Butter – make sure the butter is at the room temperature, soft enough to mix it together with other ingredients.
Crumbling – While rolling and shaping the Moon cookies, you might find some of them crumbling in your hands. That means your dough is already to warm. Just take those pieces and return them into the refrigerator for the butter to cool down a bit and roll again.
Sugar Dusting – Dusting the vanilla cookies with sugar or protein coating works better than dipping them. It’s easier because you don’t have to touch the hot cookies and dip each one into the sugar.
- Vegan Keto Vanilla Crescents – Use coconut oil instead of butter for a vegan option
- No Protein? – Use extra almond flour instead of protein. The cookies will be a bit softer but still preferred by some (my husband). Do not forget to add vanilla and sugar substitute in this instance.
- Walnuts – Add walnuts or ground pecans if you desire. The cookies will be a bit moister, but still very tasty. There are also many recipes using only walnuts for Vanilla Crescents. We have found the flavor too strong for our taste.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
What if my cookies spread out?
Preheat oven. Make sure the oven is fully preheated.
Low-temperature oven melts the butter but is not warm enough to bake the cookies and therefore they might spread before they are able to bake.
Baking our Keto Vanilla Crescents is done in 10 minutes and there is not enough time if your oven is not fully preheated.
My Keto Vanilla Cookies are crumply after they cool.
Maybe your egg yolks were small and not enough. Either add one more yolk or add a pinch of Xanthan. This will help cookies to stay more firm.
How to store the Keto Vanilla Crescent Cookies?
Once they cool down fully (I have to mention again, do not touch them at all while warm) place them in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator until used.
And just in case you would like to receive all of the future recipes,do not hesitate to sign in for our Newsletter. I try to send one mail per week, always with a new recipe. Do not forget to stay in touch with us on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram.
How Long do Low Carb Vanilla Cookies stay fresh?
You can keep the on a plate in the room as well and they should be perfect for up to a week. Anything longer, freeze them.
Can You freeze Keto Moon Cookies?
Yes, you can and that is what I do with all of the cookies. Especially during Christmas. I normally bake all of the Christmas Cookies well in advance and store them one by one in the freezer. On the day of Christmas, I take them all out the night before and they are fresh as if I have just baked them yesterday.
Pin For Later
Do not forget to stay in touch with us on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram. Join our Newsletter for all the great new recipes. Have some questions? We do have a lovely FB Group you can join, where we discuss everything around Keto & Low Carb Living, help each other out and share all of the ideas and recipes.
Thanks for giving us a 5 Stars 🙂
- Preheat oven to 160C or 320F
- In a Bowl, mix all of the ingredients into a thick dough.
- Store in the fridge for cca 1/2 hour to 1 Hour
- Take the only ¼ of the dough and place it on a parchment paper for rolling. The rest of the dough should always stay cold while you are shaping the cookies. Keep the rest in the Refridgerator until you are finished.
- Roll the 1/4 of the dough into a log. Using your spatula, separate that log into smaller pieces the same size. (check the video for better understanding)
- One by one, take each piece and roll with your hand into a small log and shape into a Moon looking cookie.
- Place each Cookie on a baking tray covered with a Parchment Paper with a bit of space in between. Once you are finished, take another ¼ of the dough and repeat the steps.
- Once all of the Cookies are on the baking tray, place them into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Once the Keto Vanilla Crescent Cookies are baked, take them from the oven and while still warm, dust them with Vanilla Protein Powder using a sieve. Dusting the cookies while still warm will help the protein coating stick onto the cookies and stays put.
- DO NOT TOUCH WARM COOKIES – they only harden once they cool. If you do touch them while they are still warm, they will crumble in your hand (my own experience)
- Butter – make sure the butter is at the room temperature, soft enough to mix it together with other ingredients.
- Crumbling – While rolling and shaping the Moon cookies, you might find some of them crumbling in your hands. That means your dough is already to warm. Just take those pieces and return them into the refrigerator for the butter to cool down a bit and roll again.
- Sugar Dusting – Dusting the vanilla cookies with sugar or protein coating works better than dipping them. It’s easier because you don’t have to touch the hot cookies and dip each one into the sugar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Yield10 - 5 pcs
Amount Per Serving Calories 119Total Fat 11gCarbohydrates 1gProtein 6g
If you are still looking for some Low Carb products, visit our recommended site on Amazon, which we participate in as affiliates. Just click on the image below and all will be revealed.
65 mouth-watering Keto dessert recipes in a digital, interactive cookbook that’s sent out via email immediately. All recipes are Keto, low-carb, sugar-free, Paleo, dairy-free and low-inflammatory using gluten-free ingredients. Easy-to-make with easy-to-find ingredients. Full nutritional info is provided for every recipe. A bonus easy-to-print version is also included.