Our Homemade Keto Bread Crumbs, made with only 1 Ingredient, will give you a perfectly crispy and crunchy breading for all your low-carb needs. Those Low Carb Breadcrumbs are entirely Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, and Perfect for Diabetics with only 1 carb per portion.
Having Breadcrumbs in the kitchen is one of the vital ingredients for a quick crunchy meal.
As I was updating our Baked Zucchini recipe, I had so much to write and explain to you about making homemade keto breadcrumbs that I have decided to make a separate post and a recipe.
Adding homemade breadcrumbs instead of almond flour to sausage balls, coating our pumpkin fries for extra crispness, or simply breading your chicken for a perfect keto schnitzel has not been easier.
All you need is one simple ingredient we all low-carb followers have at home.
Making breadcrumbs, especially in our lifestyle, will from today on change your life.
I believe every one of you got some type of keto bread at home. Be it fresh, frozen, or already a tiny bit dry. I always say, do not ever throw your keto bread.
And this is exactly what you need to make the simplest, easiest, crunchiest, and most delicious keto breadcrumbs.
Those 3 recipes are the most popular in our family, and when I bake, I always double the portion and whatever is not consumed in 3 days goes into the freezer whenever needed. And this is the time you will find it helpful.
As some might be used to the name Panko, our recipe can be called Keto Panko as well, as the bread slices are toasted for crispiness before blended in a food processor.
For those who would like to know the difference between Panko and Breadcrumbs, I will try and explain it briefly.
Panko vs Breadcrumbs
In general, breadcrumbs are made from naturally dried bread or a mixture of various flour and herbs.
On the other side, Panko is breadcrumbs that are toasted before being used.
Panko has been popular in Japan for centuries and is used for most fried food.
The difference between regular breadcrumbs and Panko style is that Panko is much crispier to the bite compared to breadcrumbs.
Homemade Panko can be easily taken as a substitute or alternative to breadcrumbs.
Regular breadcrumbs made from flour or ordinary bread are far from keto or low carb. But the good news is that with a few alterations, you can make perfect keto breadcrumbs in your home in just a few minutes and steps.
Taking our recipe into consideration, you get a beautiful 1 gram of carbohydrate per serving, which is approximately 2 tablespoons.
Considering 4 grams of fiber, the breadcrumbs would not be needed to count into your macros.
Types of Keto Breadcrumbs
Although our recipe uses keto bread of your choice, we do have various alternatives or substitutes you can use for making keto or low-carb bread crumbs.
- Keto Bread – using one of our keto bread slices is my favorite as it represents the closest way to standard bread crumbs.
- Pork Rinds – blending pork rinds in a Magic Bullet or food processor gives you a great alternative everyone loves.
- Nutritional Yeast – is one of my favorites, and I love adding it to my usual homemade keto bread crumbs.
- Keto Flour – a mixture of almond flour or coconut flour and grated cheese gives you great crispiness when used for one of the fried dishes.
- Flax Meal – Flax meal has been used by some readers, although I have not tried it.
The alternatives to breadcrumbs I have mentioned above are excellent choices and gives you a perfect mixture of substitutes you can use for coating your chicken, fish, or vegetables.
As our recipe is number one in the line, which is using one of the keto bread choices, that is what I am going to concentrate on in this post to give you as much information as I can.
For any breadcrumbs you want to store for a longer time, you have to make sure they are thoroughly dried. Otherwise, they might become bad after a while.
There are various ways you can dry your chosen keto bread, and you can pick one which is most suitable for you.
Ways to dry bread for making breadcrumbs
- Oven – using an oven on low heat is my favorite as it makes sure the bread is fully dry and adds crispness like Panko style to the breadcrumbs.
- Natural drying – leaving your bread slices to naturally dry before grinding them in your food processor is also an option, which might take a tiny bit longer, but you do get the original fresh homemade breadcrumbs.
- Air Fryer – using an Air Fryer is a great option, and I have used our croutons recipe several times for perfectly crispy coating when making my family’s favorite schnitzel.
Make your own Breadcrumbs
The main steps in making your own fresh breadcrumbs consist of drying your bread slices thoroughly, whatever way you choose, and subsequently grinding them in a Magic Bullet, blender, or a food processor. That’s it.
Alterations for making breadcrumbs
I have chosen the simplest and most natural way to make homemade keto breadcrumbs by using only one ingredient: keto bread.
The reason is that all of my keto bread recipes already contain flavors, and as I also use bread crumbs for desserts, I prefer them to be plain.
But there are additional choices you can flavor your breadcrumbs with.
- Italian seasoning – adding dry herb before grinding the breadcrumbs adds an excellent flavor for your savory dishes.
- Taco seasoning – If you plan to make Mexican-style fried food, taco seasoning is a great choice.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning – is perfect when using your breadcrumbs for topping the casserole dishes or spreads.
- Sausage Seasoning – great when making sausage balls or breakfast sausage.
Before I get into the actual recipe, I wanted to mention an option where you can have a beautiful light color for your breadcrumbs if needed.
The lightest breadcrumbs in color can be done by naturally drying your keto bread and picking up the lightest bread you have in your recipe collection.
When I need the lightest of all breadcrumbs, I always pick our low-carb yogurt buns and make sure I cut the outer layer.
The same goes for bread loaves. I always cut the outer layer of each slice before drying them to get that beautiful, almost white color.
How To Make Keto Breadcrumbs
Kitchen Gadgets needed:
- Baking Tray
- Parchment Paper
- Magic Bullet or Food Processor
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING FRESH BREAD CRUMBS KETO WAY
First Step: Prepare your ingredients.
Prepare keto bread of your choice and heat the oven to 120 Celsius or 250 Fahrenheits.
The type of bread depends on your choice, preference, or availability. Just make sure it is with minimal carbohydrates.
Second Step: Slice your Bread
Slice your keto bread into as thin as you can manage.
This will help the drying process be much quicker.
Third Step: Cut slices into squares
Cut your slices into small squares.
It does not matter if they are uneven or if some crumbs will fall apart.
Fourth Step: Place on a baking sheet and bake
Once all the slices are cut, place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
Make sure you layer all of the bread pieces into one layer, so they do not overlap.
Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Depending on your size or thickness, the time may vary slightly.
Make sure that all of the pieces are dry and crispy after the baking. Let it cool.
Fifth Step: Fill a container for grinding
Depending on if you are using a magic bullet, blender, or a food processor, fill up the container and close the lid.
If you would like to add one of the seasonings or dry herbs, now it’s the time.
Sixth Step: Blend and grind
Blend fully until you get the best homemade breadcrumbs.
Tips and Tricks:
- Type of bread – pick any keto bread of your choice, be it loafs, buns, bagels, rolls.
- Color – if you would like to have a bright light color, cut out all of the outings from your bread slices and pick white keto bread from inside.
- Additions – you can add various herbs or your favorite seasonings
- Bake – you can also crisp up the bread slices in an air fryer instead of the oven
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
What to use Keto Breadcrumbs for?
Instead of almond flour or coconut flour, you can add them to the dish to hold it together.
Some great choices are:
- Mini Burgers
- Baked Zucchini
- Sausage Balls
- Fish Nuggets
- Breading for Fried Chicken
- Onion Rings
- Chicken Nuggets
- Breaded Cauliflower
How do you store Low Carb Bread Crumbs?
Placed in a glass container or a Mason Jar, they can be easily stored in your refrigerator for up to at least 6 months.
Can you freeze Keto Bread Crumbs?
You can freeze your homemade keto breadcrumbs quickly in the zip log bag, mason jar, or glass container.
Pin for later
Need Support or have Questions? Join our Free Facebook Group.
For weekly New Recipes and a FREE E-Book get into our NEWSLETTER.
Full Recipe with Print Out Option
Thank you for giving us 5 stars.
- Prepare keto bread of your choice and heat the oven to 120 Celsius or 250 Fahrenheits.
- Slice your keto bread into as thin as you can manage.
- Cut your slices into small squares.
- Once all the slices are cut, place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Make sure you layer all of the bread pieces into one layer, so they do not overlap. Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Depending on if you are using a magic bullet, blender, or a food processor, fill up the container and close the lid.
- Blend fully until you get the best homemade breadcrumbs.
- Type of bread - pick any keto bread of your choice, be it loafs, buns, bagels, rolls.
- Color - if you would like to have a bright light color, cut out all of the outings from your bread slices and pick white keto bread from inside.
- Additions - you can add various herbs or your favorite seasonings
- Bake - you can also crisp up the bread slices in an air fryer instead of the oven
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size2 Tablespoons
Amount Per Serving Calories 33Total Fat 1gCarbohydrates 1gFiber 4gProtein 2g
If you are still looking for some Low Carb products, visit our recommended site on Amazon, which we participate in as affiliates. Just click on the image below and all will be revealed.
A 7-day guided challenge to get into Ketosis. Includes a complete meal plan with recipes, shopping list and pantry list, a Step-by-Step Keto Quick Start Guide, a Keto Success, and Motivation Journal emailed to you daily, and access to a supportive Keto community.