With our Almond Flour Keto Taco Shells flavored with Mexican spices, you will not only be able to have Taco Tuesday every day, but you can easily use them as a Tortillas, Wraps, Tostada, Flat Bread or Chalupa. Fully Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Low Carb and perfect for Diabetics, those Low-Carb Taco Shells are a great base for everything Tacos.
Keto Tacos Recipes
Our Almond Flour Keto Taco Shells are a perfect addition to Tacos, Taco Salad, Casserole or a Taco Soup for that matter. Once filled with Taco Meat and sprinkled with Keto Salsa and Salsa Dressing, your daily Taco Tuesday with our Taco Guide would be the best you ever had.
Keto Taco Seasoning
Additionally flavored with our Homemade Low-Carb Taco Seasoning, the taste of those Keto Tortillas is purely unforgettable.
Simply add one teaspoon of our mixture or half of the Taco Seasoning Packet in, and enjoy this flavorful taste.
Texture of regular Taco Shells
We all know from Taco Bell or otherwise, there are 2 types of Regular Taco Shells
- Hard – which results from frying corn tortillas
- Soft – which are tortillas grilled or steamed
Gluten-Free Tortilla Shells Texture
I have tried to make our Healthy Tortilla Shells something in between hard and soft. I wanted those tortilla shells to be used for more than just a simple Taco Shell.
Furthermore, I wanted you to be able to make Tostaday, Chalupas, Wraps or anything else you imagine.
We do have Soft Keto Wraps, if you need.
But both of those are pretty soft to make shells, that will hold the shape.
For a hard shell type, we have a great recipe with Taco Cups as well as Taco Salad, where I have prepared the shells that are extra crispy .
Almond Flour Keto Tortilla Shells
For the texture I mentioned above, came Almond Flour handy.
Almond Flour, together with a tiny bit of Psyllium Husk, softens those healthy taco shells just a tiny bit, enough for them to be pliable but still holding their shape.
And together with Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese, they are still cheese taco shells, giving them that right crispiness.
Can not forget the amazing flavor our Taco Seasoning brings as well.
What type of Cheese can you use for making Keto Taco Shells?
As you see in our Taco Shell Recipe, I have used Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese.
If you follow me for a while, you might already know, that I am against buying already pre-shredded cheese, as those are usually covered with some type of starch and therefore adding on the carbohydrates, we are trying to avoid.
Always, always get a whole block of cheese. It will take you only a few extra minutes to shred your cheese at home, but therefore you get a pure fresh cheese every time you use it in our lifestyle.
Type of cheese also matters.
Store bought pre shredded cheese gives you more of a Tostada consistency, but if you shred it at home, those tortillas are much more pliable.
How To Shape Taco Shells?
If you are lucky enough to have Taco Shell Forms, use those.
But if not, a great options will do the same job:
Immediately once they are taken out of the oven and still extra pliable place them over:
- Baking Rack
- Spatula, which is attached on cups from each side
- Wide Pot
Taco Shells are usually 4 to 6 inches in size.
I have made our Taco Shell Recipe in 6 inches, so each of them, filled with taco meat and everything else, could be taken as a whole meal and not only a tiny snack.
To make Tortillas or low-carb taco shells the same size is pretty easy. You can use various options.
1. Make one tortilla and circle around on the parchment paper, so all the next ones will be exactly the same size.
2. Find a bowl which is similar to the size you want and use that to make circles on your parchment paper.
3. Use your kid’s compass to be fully precise – my option s you see on the video.
What can you fill Gluten-Free Taco Shells with?
If you would like to go fully into Taco Tuesday with proper Tacos, I will be releasing the best recipe ever in a few weeks.
Otherwise, you can fill those Keto Taco Shells with:
- Ahi Tuna
- Baked Chicken
- Taco Meat
- BBQ Chicken
- Salsa Dressing
- Ground Beef
- Sour Cream
How To make Keto Taco Shells?
Kitchen Gadgets needed:
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
And as our loyal readers, Wholesome Yum Foods has been so kind to offer to all of our subscribers 10% of ALL of their PRODUCTS using our Coupon Code:
Learn How to make Keto Taco Shells with few easy steps.
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS ON BEST LOW-CARB TACO SHELLS RECIPE
First Step: Ingredients Needed for Low-Carb taco Shells
Heat Up the oven.
Prepare all the ingredients.
As I have already mentioned above, get a block of cheese and great it at home to avoid additional carbohydrates you get from store-bought pre-grated cheese covered with starch.
With regard to Taco Seasoning, you can either use our recipe, or pick half of the taco seasoning packet.
Second Step: Add all into a bowl
Using a big Glass Bowl, add all ingredients one by one inside.
Third Step: Mix Fully all ingredients
Using a spatula, start gently mixing all the ingredients together. Make sure every piece of cheese is covered with both almond flour and Psyllium Husk. This will make sure your Taco Shells are going to bake evenly.
Fourth Step: Make same size Tacos Circles
If you wish to have all the tortillas the same size, follow this step.
If not, you can skip it.
Using your kid’s compass or bowl with a pencil, make same size circles on a parchment paper.
Fifth Step: Fill Up the Circles and Bake
Single layer all the cheese mixture inside the circle, making sure no space in between is visible.
Using your hands, add or take out the cheese mixture to have identically filled tacos.
Place into the oven and bake at 350 Fahrenheit or 180 Celsius for approximately 8 minutes.
As each of the oven is different and preheating time might differ, watch your shells and take them out when you see they start browning on the edges.
Sixth Step: Shape Keto Taco Shells into perfection
Before taking the tortillas or taco shells out of the oven, have everything prepared for shaping them, as this needs to be done really fast.
Pick from using a Taco Shell’s form, baking rack, spatula attached from each side or a wide cooking pot.
Once you take tortillas out of the oven, using a spatula or your bare hands, take each of the shell and place on a prepared shaper.
Let them cool fully and take them out only once they have the shape and are cooled down.
Tips and Tricks
- Too Greasy – tap with paper towel, just before you take them out of the oven
- Sticking to the paper – use parchment paper with shiny side up. The shiny side is slightly coated with silicone to prevent stickiness
- Don’t have Taco Seasoning Packets – use our Homemade Keto Taco Seasoning, done in 5 minutes
- Not Spicy enough – add a bit more of cayenne into the spice
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
What can I use those Shells for?
Apart of already mentioned taco recipes at the beginning of the article, those shells are great for various other dished for their crunchiness and sustainability.
Crunch and sprinkle yur tomato soup with them.
They can also be broken into smaller pieces and used as mini chips to go with a taco dip with cream cheese.
Can I use Coconut Flour to make Keto Taco Shells?
Making Keto taco shells can be done using coconut flour as well. I have tried this mixture while tasting the recipe, but to me the tortillas became too dry and hard. Therefore, I do prefer almond flour.
But if you do not have almond flour, you can without problem use coconut flour as well. The additional Psyllium Husk Powder will still soften the shells a bit.
How to Store Keto Taco Shells?
You can without the problem store keto taco shells on your kitchen counter.
They are perfect even a few days after.
If you need to store them for longer, place all into an airtight container.
They should last at least a week, if not more.
Can you freeze Gluten-Free Taco Shells?
I would not freeze those Keto Taco Shells, especially when already shaped. They might take just too much space.
But if you really need to freeze them, let them cool as tortillas or a flat bread and freeze them, placing parchment paper in between each.
Once ready to serve, take them out of the freezer the night before and let them thaw naturally.
For the shape, you can place them into the oven for a few minutes for cheese to melt slightly, so they are more pliable again for shaping.
Pin For Later:
Need Support or have Questions? Join our Free Facebook Group.
For weekly New Recipes and a FREE E-Book get into our NEWSLETTER.
Full Recipe with Print Out Option.
Thanks for giving us 5 Stars.
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit or 180 Celsius
- Prepare all the ingredients.
- Using a big Glass Bowl, add all ingredients one by one inside.
- With a spatula, start gently mixing all the ingredients together.
- Using your kid's compass or bowl with a pencil, make same size circles on a parchment paper.
- Single layer all the cheese mixture inside the circle, making sure no space in between is visible.
- Using your hands, add or take out the cheese mixture to have identically filled tacos.
- Place into the oven and bake at 350 Fahrenheit or 180 Celsius for approximately 8 minutes.
- Once you take tortillas out of the oven, using a spatula or your bare hands, take each of the shell and place on a prepared shaper.
- Let them cool fully and take them out only once they have the shape and are cooled down.
- Too Greasy - tap with paper towel, just before you take them out of the oven
- Sticking to the paper - use parchment paper with shiny side up. The shiny side is slightly coated with silicone to prevent stickiness
- Don't have Taco Seasoning Packets - use our Homemade Keto Taco Seasoning, done in 5 minutes
- Not Spicy enough - add a bit more of cayenne into the spice
- Size - our Low-Carb Taco Shells are each 6 Inches in diameter
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 Shell
Amount Per Serving Calories 124Total Fat 10gCarbohydrates 1gProtein 8g
If you are still looking for some Low Carb products, visit our recommended site on Amazon, which we participate in as affiliates. Just click on the image below and all will be revealed.