How To Make Farmers Cheese with only 1 ingredient
Super easy way to make your own Fresh Homemade Farmers Cheese with only 1 ingredient. This unaged, cultured farmers cheese recipe using fermenting method is a perfect addition in our Keto or Low Carb lifestyle. Use it with various recipes from simple spreads, making your own Keto Farmers Bread up to a super Low Carb Cakes and Sweets.
With only 1 ingredient you will get a Homemade Fresh Cream, Homemade Farmers Cheese and Homemade Whey all filled with healthiness all over.
This post may contain affiliate links, which helps us to keep this content free. See disclosure.
Our Homemade Farmers Cheese Recipe is made using a cultured method instead of relying on acid. There is no lemon or vinegar or any type of Rennet or starter culture added into the milk. The pure fermentation process takes care of all after the milk gets fermented for approximately 3 days.
Using our method, you will get:
- Fresh Cream to spread on your breakfast bread
- Farmers Cheese
- Whey to add instead of water to soups, bread or cake making
What is Quark Cheese or Farmers Cheese?
Farmers Cheese is a fresh mild cheese with a curd-like consistency. It is an unaged cheese made from either milk, sour cream, kefir or yogurt where during the process, lactic bacterias are fed on lactose and subsequently produce healthy acidity.
Therefore Farmers cheese or Quark as some calls it is a member of acid set cheese group.
Different names for Farmers Cheese.
There are several names, used around the world. Some of them to mention are:
- Quark Cheese
- Curd Cheese
- Farmers Cheese
- Fromage Blanc
Quark Cheese has the firmness of sour cream but is slightly drier, resulting in a somewhat crumbly texture like
How is Farmers Cheese made?
There are various way, one can make a Farmers Cheese:
- Natural way without any additions – our Recipe
- Acid method – using lemon or vinegar
- Fast way – using rennet and starter culture
Is Farmers Cheese healthy?
Farmers Cheese consists of 60 – 80 % water.
Dry mass has 1 to 40 % fat; most of the rest is protein (80% of which is casein), calcium, and phosphate.
It is filled with lots of Protein and therefore is a perfect breakfast choice to start your day.
Lots of body-builders are
Origins of Farmers Cheese.
Farmers Cheese or Quark as some calls it has a long history and have been used for centuries mostly in eastern European Countries.
From my childhood I remeber every one from my grandmothers to all of the neghboors used to do ther own Farmers cheese at home. Hardly anyone used to buy it in the supermarket. It is so easy to make, much cheapre as the store bought one and fresh like no other.
Farmers Cheese in Central and Eastern European Countries contains much less Whey and therefore is much drier in consistency compared to the quark or farmers cheese you buy in america.
The origins of the name tvarog come from
Some names used around here are:
Polish Twaróg, Belarusian Tварог, Russian Tворог, Czech and Slovak Tvaroh, Austrians name it Topfen (“pot cheese”),
Best Milk for Homemade Farmers Cheese.
To make your own homemade Farmers cheese, the best quality milk should be used.
Pick an Organic, Full Fat, Whole milk. More fat the milk has, more goods you will get from it at the end of the process.
If you can get unpasteurized milk directly from the farmers you trust, you will have a 100% chance of making the best ever Farmers Cheese you can.
- You can also use Goat, Sheep’s or Ewes Milk which will work as well. The taste differs slightly, but you do get a different take on it.
- If you do get Un-pasteurized milk, which you are not so sure about, just cook it on 80 degrees to kill all the possible bacterias and then follow with the process described in our post.
- More fat your milk contains, more Farmers cheese you will be able to produce
- Do not use expired milk, thinking of speeding up the process. This will not happen.
Recipes with Farmers Cheese.
- Keto Farmers Bread – the best Keto Bread, which is the closest to the real thing.
- Low Carb Chocolate Roulade – Keto Yule Log or Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake as some might call it
- Wild Blueberries Keto Cheesecake – No-bake Keto Cheesecake with the base you will be craving for
You can also add it to this Keto Salmon Spinach Roulade instead of a Cream Cheese.
What do you need to make homemade Farmers Cheese?
Step by Step Instructions on How to make Farmers Cheese.
First Step: Glass Container
For the best fermentation and getting the most of the products you will get in the next 3 days choose the container with a wide mouth opening and the top for covering. Glass container works the best. I have purchased those in Ikea and use them not only for
Pour all of the fresh milk into the container.
Second Step: Cover
For the right fermentation to happen, you should cover the jar with something. I do have a glass cover, but you can also use a plate or anything which would fit the jar you choose. Find the best place in the kitchen, where you can keep your jar for the next 3 days. The place should be dry, room temperature warm, but without direct sunlight.
Third Step: Day 2 – Fresh Cream
On the second day, you will already see a bit of a change. When you look through the glass you will see the fresh cream formed, which is a bit more white in color than the rest of the milk. You have a choice to scrap a fresh cream into a bowl. Wider your glass jar is, more Fresh Cream will form.
We love to eat it just with a piece of our Keto Farmers Bread or add it into any of the dips we make for breakfast or a snack.
You can as well decide to leave it in and not use it, but I would advice you to at least to try. A fresh homemade Cream is out of this world.
Fourth Step: Day 3 – cooking
On a third day, you will see the consistency changed again and that is mostly the day, when your fermented milk is ready. On top, you might see a bit of fresh cheese drying and cracks forms and that is the time for you to get on making the best ever Farmers Cheese.
Place all of the milk into a big cooking pot and switch on the heater for low. Do not mix during or after. More you mix, less curds will form and therefore less Farmers cheese you will have at the end.
Cover it with a lid and let it cook on the lowest temperature possible for about half to 1 hour depending on how much milk you are using.
The high temperature will destroy all of the good bacterias and nutritious Protein, so be very particular on the lowst temperature you can set your stove on.
Fifth Step: Let it sit
Once you see the Whey being separated from the curds, it is the time to switch the heat off and let it fully cool.
Do not stir. Do not move it. Just switch the stove off and go and do something else 🙂
Sixth Step: Check if ready
Once all of it is cooled, check with the end of the spatula if the curds are properly formed, by gently moving the curds away from whey. When you feel comfortable that enough curds have been formed and all of the Whey is fully separated, it is the time to move into the next step.
Seventh Step: Strain
Again very gently strain all through a strainer covered with a muslin cloth. Pour very gently and let the whey work through the strainer into the container. Let it sit and rest of the whey will slowly drip through.
From 2 Liters of Milk you will get
- 1,5 liter of Whey
- 400g of Farmers Cheese
- 100g of Fresh Cream
At this point you have few choices
- For more dry Farmers Cheese, hang the cheesecloth and let the Whey drip overnight
- For a more creamier consistency, transfer the Farmers Cheese straight into a Mason jar or a container. In this way a bit of whey will stay in, making the farmers cheese much creamier.
- Using the second choice you can mix the already made farmers cheese with a hand blender to get the smooth Farmers Cheese, which could be used for various Cheesecakes or spreads.
DO NOT THROW THE WHEY.
Whey is very very nutritious and could be used in so many ways. Drink a small shot every morning on an empty stomach. Use it instead of water for various soups, add it into our Keto Farmers Bread instead of water. I have decided to make a separate post on Whey and its uses as well on How to make a Whey Soup. So watch out for our Newsletter.
And just in case you would like to receive all of the future recipes, do not hesitate to sign in for our Newsletter. I try to send one mail per week, always with a new recipe. Do not forget to stay in touch with us on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
How to use Farmers Cheese
There are millions of ways you can use Homemade Farmers Cheese. Think cream cheese. You can add it
- Eat it plain
- Add some Berries and Sugar-Free Honey for Breakfast (the favorite for my daughter)
- Pan-fry with it
- Use it as fillings for Fat-Head Cakes
- Bake cakes with it
- Bake the best Keto Farmers Bread
- Use it as a salad toppings
- Mix it with yogurt and some herbs for a veggie dip
- Bake puddings
- Add it into a casserole dishes
- Serve with Keto Crackers as an appetizer
- Use it as a spread for Keto Rolls sandwitches
- Add it into Keto Wraps and Tortillas
- Use it for Keto Pasta dishes
- Mix it with our Keto Fiber Noodles
What is a substitute for Farmers Cheese
In most of my recipes, I always suggest to use quark or farmers cheese, but also you can use it as a substitute for Cream Cheese, Curd Cheese, Ricotta, Cottage Cheese, Fromage.
What is the difference between
Farmers Cheese and Cottage Cheese ?
To make Cottage cheese a bacterial Culture or some type of acid is used to separate milk and whey and form curds. To make Cottage Cheese, those curds are then cooked again with adding some salt. Therefore the first
Is Farmers Cheese and Cream Cheese the same thing ?
No it is not. Cream Cheese is made by adding a cream into a milk and forming a very soft creamy consistency. It could definatelly be used as a substitute for some of the recipes, but it is a different structured type of cheese.
How to make Farmers Cheese from buttermilk
All you have to do is let it cook on a low speed until the curds forms and then follow the same steps as I describe in our recipe.
Flavouring Farmers Cheese.
Farmers Cheese could be consumed either on a sweet side or salty. Adding some honey, cinamon or sugar substitutes, it ias a perfect Breakfast Option.
On the other side, mixing it with various herbs and condiments, it is a perfect addition to any spreads or toppings for your snacks or a party preparation.
does Farmers Cheese last ?
As it is made fresh and no preservatives are added, it is
Is Farmers Cheese Keto Friendly?
It for sure is. 100g of a H
Can you freeze
F armers Cheese ?
You can freeze almost any cheese without the problem. If you do not have time to consume it immediately, that is what I would suggest to do. Just wrap it in the food plastic wrap fully, so the freeze does not get in and place it into the freezer for up to 3 months.
Once you are ready to unfreeze, the best way is to take it out the day before. I normally do this with almost anything I take out from the freezer.
The evening before, I take it from the freezer and place it straight into the refrigerator for the unfreezing to happen gradually.
Can you make Farmers Cheese in an Instant Pot?
You certainly can and I have made it. And I have decided to make a separate post and a recipe using this method. You just need to wait a while for me to be able to put it all together.
I am looking forward for all of your pictures and ideas, you will be using for this magnificent healthy superb ingredient.
Thanks you for giving us a 5 stars 🙂
- 2 (1/2 Gallon) Liters Organic Whole Milk
- Pour all of the milk into a wide Mouth glass jar and cover it.
- Store it on your kitchen cabinet or in a room temperature dry place for the next 3 days and let the milk ferment.
- On a second day a fresh Cream forms on top of the milk. You can collect this and use it as a spread for your breakfast.
- Third day, you will see the top of the Fresh Cream beeing a bit dry and see some cracks. That is the time to make the Farmers Cheese.
- Place all of the milk into a big cooking pot and switch on the heater for low. Do not mix during or after. More you mix, less curds will form and therefore less Farmers cheese you will have at the end.
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook on the lowest temperature possible for about half to 1 hour depending on how much milk you are using.
- Once you see the Whey being separated from the curds, it is the time to switch the heat off and let it fully cool. Do not stir.
- Once the milk is cooled, check with the end of the spatula if the curds are properly formed, by gently moving the curds away from whey. When you feel comfortable that enough curds have been formed and all of the Whey is fully separated, it is the time to move into the next step.
- Very gently strain all through a strainer covered with a muslin cloth. Pour slowly and let the whey work through the strainer into the container. Let it sit and rest of the whey will slowly drip through.
- Pick an Organic, Full Fat, Whole milk. More fat the milk has, more goods you will get from it at the end of the process.
- Do not throw the Whey. It is very Nutritious. Drink it or add it into your cooking
- For more dry Farmers Cheese, hang the cheesecloth and let the Whey drip overnight
- From 2 Liters of Milk you will get 1,5 liter of Whey, 400g of Farmers Cheese and 100g of Fresh Cream
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 93 Total Fat 4g Carbohydrates 3g Protein 11g
If you are still looking for some Low Carb products, visit our recommended site on Amazon, which we participate in as affiliates. Just click on the image below and all will be revealed.
Customized Keto Meal Plans, recipes & shopping lists delivered weekly. Always 30 or fewer ingredients. Always 20 grams or fewer net carbs. Dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, legume-free and Paleo.